A Trip for Two

Clever Betty is in its very beginnings as an Etsy business, but in the midst of all the planning, creating, spending and crossed-fingers, there I am, with a life full of good fortune, good people and good memories. My hopes for this blog are to not only showcase Clever Betty and its products, but to let you get to know the artist behind the name a little better.

That being said, the past few weeks have been quite the transition for me as I started a new job. I was fortunate enough to get a week break in between my previous position and my new one, so my boyfriend Sean and I thought, what better way to fill the time than to take a vacation together? So he took a few days off from his busy work schedule, we packed up our camping gear, made a few reservations and headed to the northern tip of the lower peninsula in Michigan. Neither of us had ever been to the state; it ended up being one of the most beautiful and relaxing trips I've ever been on. Here's my proof:


This was right outside our tent for the first two nights we were there. Located in Mackinaw City, right on the coast of Lake Huron.

Flowers outside our tent.

We traveled to Mackinac Island by ferry the two days we camped in Mackinaw. There are no vehicles allowed on the island; only bikes and plenty of horses. We rented a pair of mountain bikes and explored the island for hours, stopping to take pictures of the wildlife and hundreds of gorgeous houses that faced Lake Huron. I didn't see any for sale signs but these were two I'd be interested in....

The cutest little downtown ever, full of fudge shops, tourists and bicycles.

After our first two days, we got a hotel in St. Ignace and took a jaunt up to the northernmost park of the upper peninsula to Tahquamenon Falls. It was a beautiful site in the middle of a well-tended state park and even though it was yet another hour of driving each way, it was well worth the trip.

We took the scenic route along Lake Michigan on our way back. The trip is full of orchards of all kinds- left and right for miles and miles you see signs for family farms and fruit growing right up to the highway. We saw a sign for an orchard 3 miles up the road as we were just outside of Traverse City and didn't know until we got there that it was a pick your own cherry orchard! We stocked up on sweet and tart cherries- some for eating and some for baking pies. I've never had such good cherries in my life.

Can you even believe that this is Lake Michigan? Every time I look at this picture I question whether we were transported somewhere much further south by mistake. If you've ever seen the Michigan ads on tv or billboards, Sean and I will definitely be the first to tell you that they're not making it up. This trip alone covered three of the great lakes..... I'll keep you posted when we visit the remaining two :)

Topping the road trip mix:
Tune Out- The Format
At Full Speed- Jack's Mannequin
Keep It Together- Guster
Middle of Nowhere- Hot Hot Heat
Gotta Have You- The Weepies
I Woke Up In A Car- Something Corporate
My Winding Wheel- Ryan Adams
This Town- O.A.R.
Roll With It- Oasis
Steer- Missy Higgins

No comments:

Post a Comment

Come on I know I said something that you're just dying to comment on... won't you share what's on your mind? I love hearing what you have to say whether it's a response, a simple hello or a great idea. Comments make me smile!