Decorating Our Home: The Master Bedroom

So a while back I mentioned that Sean and I became homeowners in November of 2011, shortly after we got married. We've taken our sweet time with painting, decorating and buying furniture because, well... for one, it ain't cheap to set up and fill a 2,000 square foot home. Two, I'm hesitant to make big purchases across the board, as I've made the mistake of not budgeting well with past apartment furnishings and I don't want to make the same mistake again. And three, we like to make stuff, obviously. Making stuff takes lots of thought, time, and planning.

Right after Thanksgiving we both kind of put our foot down though and said to each other... we probably shouldn't still be sleeping on a box spring and mattress on the floor now that we've lived here for over a year. We had talked about making our own headboard or bed frame a few times, but it still hasn't made it to the top of the to do list with my office taking priority on the table saw, and lots of other built-ins to come (which I promise I'll share here!) So we broke down and bought one as a Christmas gift to each other, and it arrived from Amazon earlier this week.


Isn't it pretty? The color is called "Pewter." So I know what you're thinking. Nice super boring bedroom, Lauren. Why are you showing us this? Well, I don't like to jump the gun with decorating until I have the base pieces. So I basically haven't done anything with our master bedroom aside from paint the walls. It looked like this right before I painted:

 So yeah. I'm gonna go ahead and say anything would have been an upgrade. But now that we have a grey toned bed frame, grey walls, grey sheets, white comforter and blinds, and cream carpet... it is getting entirely too monotone for my taste. So I'd like to share a few mood boards with you before I get started with adding COLOR to this room!

If you check out my Master Bedroom Pinterest board, you might notice that I thought the monotone thing might work out. But one year later, I've changed my mind, and I'm really glad I haven't touched a thing or I'd already be wanting to change it! Here's what I'm picturing in my mind now:



1. Valspar Signature Paint in Filtered Shade wall color
2, 3, 4. Dear Stella Fabric, Cleo Collection drapes (chevron), accent pillows
5. Shanty 2 Chic DIY Anthropologie inspired cabinet (we'd make it into a dresser)
6. Skyline Furniture via Amazon king size bed frame
7. World Market side tables
8. West Elm lamps

Still nice and neutral, but rustic modern with pops of color. Just our style. Obviously I've skimped on adding any art to this mood board... but I'm thinking I still love the starburst mirror trend with a classy chandelier like this pin from A Well Dressed Home. And definitely some personal stuff like wedding photos and such. I think I might even be able to add a bench at the foot of the bed, as the room is pretty big at around 250 square feet, I just haven't found one yet that I love.

What do you think? I tend to have a pretty girly aesthetic that's challenged by living with a man... and actually, a man that has an opinion on how we decorate out home! I feel like I've done a pretty good job here keeping it fairly gender neutral. So now that I've shared it with you... I'm off to run it by Sean as well! :)


1 comment:

  1. I love the bed! Great color and you know I adore those studs. Great work, Lauren!

    ReplyDelete

Come on I know I said something that you're just dying to comment on... won't you share what's on your mind? I love hearing what you have to say whether it's a response, a simple hello or a great idea. Comments make me smile!