On Routine


Did you know that the longer you put off blogging the harder it is to blog? Like many, many other things in this world, routine is key. Like changing your sleep, exercise, or eating habits. You have to take the time to get into a routine to see the results you're after.

So why have I been putting off blogging? Well, lots of reasons. I feel boring, certain things don't go as I expect them to, sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself, it's a lot of work to put together each post, what I'm posting isn't perfect yet, there are so many stinking things on my to do list I don't often know where to start, and so I don't start anything at all. But lack of routine is probably the biggest theme to explain the whole issue.

So let me start from the beginning. See, I have this thing about not showing weakness. That when someone tells me something is "Haaaaaaaard," it always seems like they're whining, or just plain weak. Life is hard. Why talk about it?

Well, why not talk about it? I'm going to talk about it. I've had a much harder time getting used to working from home than I expected. There. I said it. It has been hard for me.

Before quitting my day job, even though I loathed it, I had a routine. Wake up, shower, drive 40+ minutes to work. Eat oatmeal and drink tea while checking email and blogs. Get to work. Lunch. More work. Drive 40+ minutes home. Workout. Dinner. Class. Tv. Bed. Repeat. I didn't particularly enjoy that routine, but it got me through my days, and I felt productive because of it. I never fully realized how much of a role productivity plays in my sanity/happiness/mental state/satisfaction until I started working from home.

With working from home also comes the difficulty of separating ones personal and professional lives. For me, that's even harder when a lot of my personal projects overlap with my professional skills: sewing a gift for someone, designing a friend's wedding invitations, DIYing home decor. Also, there's making the decision to set aside time to do the household tasks so there's also time to do the business tasks. And learning how to get out of my own head, because there's no one else for me to talk to (except my pets) for 8+ hours each weekday.

So why, after six months, have I not been able to come up with a routine to feel that satisfaction from being productive? I don't know. That's just me. Freedom is easy. It took me a while to figure out what my issue was to begin with. I've had the luxury of being able to take my time to figure things out. And I'm not apologizing for it. I'm just finally getting comfortable with it myself.

 So lets cut to the chase. I know I'm not the only one in this boat right now, especially if you subtract the whole blogging/running a business theme. I've been collecting inspiring posts from other bloggers this January in the time that I've not been spending blogging myself. There's something great about the beginning of a new year that brings feelings of the need opportunity to change, improve, grow. So I'd love to share these posts with you, and hopefully (if you're able to take the time to read some or all of them!) you'll get the idea.

Motivation.

Beautiful words from The Reluctant Sojourner.

Don't Read This Blog.

Goals vs To Dos.

I'm an ISFJ.

Give and Take.

On Goal Setting.

Making it worth it.

Less Projects, More Process.

Overcoming Insecurity.

Live an inspired life.

"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." --Arthur Ashe

What is your routine like? What makes you feel productive or satisfied, or are the one in the same?

I wish you could see how this post came together. I started it in early January and keep coming back to add and subtract... thinking "I'll go back and organize that into logical thought later." I promise that my idea of a good routine includes more frequent blog updates!

Image source

No comments:

Post a Comment

Come on I know I said something that you're just dying to comment on... won't you share what's on your mind? I love hearing what you have to say whether it's a response, a simple hello or a great idea. Comments make me smile!